Sunday, September 22, 2013

Cake Over The Fire


Taragniuea Famle blo mi,
Island life is sooo amazing.  I am adapting very well, and learning so much every single day.  Last week we had two baptisms and they were amazing!! Mama Tangani and Yane one small boy.  Honestly I have never seen someone change so much in my life (Mama Tangani).  Change is probably my favorite thing I have learned on my mission.  I have learned that change is good.  Through Jesus Christ, everyone has the opportunity to change their lives.  After her baptism we went back to teach her and her entire countenance had changed. There was a light about her.  Usually when we teach her she is very quiet and we can never tell if she is really understanding what we are teaching.  This time was different.  She participated and answered each question with a heartfelt loving answer.  She bore her sweet testimony several different times and the spirit in the hut was literally tangible.  It is amazing to see how real the light of Christ is.  The light of Christ is given to every one of Papa God's Pikinnis, but when we use our agency righteously, a little bit more of that spirit and light is given to us.  Papa God really has been blessing me too much out here.

This week we have been really working hard with our members in the farther villages.  That means we have been walking and hiking/climbing a lot a lot a lot.  Thursday and Friday we climbed up and down all day and then Saturday morning we made our 2 1/2 hour mountain trek to villages in that area.  I was soo sore when I woke up on Saturday from hiking earlier in the week that I really did not know if I was going to be able to do it.  But I knew the people needed me.  We started walking slowly putting one foot in front of the other. We walked for about 45 minutes, and the entire time I was praying to Heavenly Father that I could make it.  Well, apparently He knew I couldn't!  Shortly after this truck pulled up and we jumped in the back and road until they dumped us off! WHAT A MIRACLE!! Heavenly Father answers prayers! Anyway, so like I said we are working really hard with our members in the farther villages.  The reason for that is because they have to walk that 2 1/2 hour hike with all their kids every Sunday so a lot of them can't make it to church.  We had our leaders talk to President about it, and he said that if my companion and I can find Priesthood holders in the area WE CAN SET UP A UNIT! You have no idea how excited I am about this! This is potentially setting up another branch we are talking about! That means that these people would not have to walk so far to come to jos! Did I mention that I am so excited?! But that means that we will have to make the travel several different times this week..but i will gladly run all the way there if it means I can find adults to set a unit up in the area! ahhh!!! This work is soo amazing!!

But guess what!? I think the people are getting used to me!! Well or so i thought until yesterday... We were sitting in the dirt just outside of a primary school waiting for one of our investigators to come out when two mamas came up to me and said, "Sister, school is over, but do you think you could go sit somewhere else? My class is too scared to come out because you are sitting by the gate.."  I about died.  I was trying soo hard not to laugh.  I quickly got up and turned around and sure enough a bunch of little pikinninis were timidly standing up by the school staring.  hahaha oh man...I think I am going to need some more candy to win the hearts of these kids!

OH MY!!! This week I learned how to bake a cake on a fire! So here nothing is sweet at all. Cake is mostly flour with a little bit of cocoa and sugar.  I was dying for something sweet so I started trying to bake a cake.  My companion did most of the ingredients and then when she went outside to fetch some more water I dumped a whole lot of brown sugar and loads and loads of cocoa into the bowl and stirred it so she wouldn't notice.  After we put it in the pot over the fire and she said, "hmm this cake looks a lot more brown (hers were tan)" I quickly said, "Oh no, it looks normal, I think it is just the shadow from the flashlight"  After we tasted it and it TASTED LIKE CAKE! It was amazing!!!

I love it here!!!! it really is amazing!!
Love YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment